Welcome to my Blog!


This is a space where I share about my life, work, love, & passion. I am glad you have found your way here. Please come & return often. A blog begins with the words of an individual and makes sense in the context of community...

Monday, June 7, 2010

A brief review on "New Friars: The Emerging Movement Serving the World's Poor" by Scott Bessenecker


I've been fascinated by this book so far.

First, the ID with the previous groups, like the Benedictines & Franciscans, who similarly took vows and focused their ministries on being with and working for the poor.

As I am reading about individuals who go to slum sites and do ministry there, I am often thinking of a young guy from my college named Nick. He was a senior when I was a freshman, so I didn't know him that well. But I remember that he had a passion for this kind of thing. He had lived in a slum community in Nicaragua and, from his vision, a college group formed that raised money for the people there. I remember how he wanted to go to other slum communities and live with the people there.... I had no clue that others were doing this kind of thing...

Reading about the connection between alcohol, despair, and economic injustice also resonated with me. I recall the dilemma of many in Native American reservations today as well as in other countries and cultures where there are no limits on who consumes alcohol and, with the hardships of life, its abuse is rampant. It makes me constantly have to reconsider my own connection with alcohol.

And this statistic is STAGGERING: "The latest global unemployment trends indicate that 'of the 2.8 billion workers in the world, nearly half still do not earn enough to lift themselves and their families above the US $2 a day poverty line." -------------

No comments:

Post a Comment